BPC.ORG | Home | Westminster Shorter Catechism Project | WSC Question 90
[DOCUMENT INFO: LAST MODIFIED ON (EST)]
Westminster Shorter Catechism
|Q: How is the word to be read and heard, that it may become effectual to salvation?
A: That the word may become effectual to salvation, we must attend thereunto with diligence,1 preparation,2 and prayer,3 receive it with faith4 and love,5 lay it up in our hearts,6 and practice it in our lives.7
- Proverbs 8:34. Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.
- Luke 8:18. Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.
1 Peter 2:1-2. Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, as newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby.
- Psalm 119:18. Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
- Hebrews 4:2. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:10. And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
- Psalm 119:11. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
- Luke 8:15. But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
James 1:25. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
Go to Question 91 | Return to WSC Project Index Page
Further links concerning this catechism question: [ASCENDING ALPHABETIC ORDER BY AUTHOR]
This document is available at http://www.bpc.org/resources/wsc/wsc_090.html
Corrections or Information: firstname.lastname@example.org