1. Is lying a great sin? Yes: Lie not one to another, seeing ye have put off the old man, Col. 3:9. Is it a sin that God hates? Yes: lying lips are abomination to the Lord, Prov. 12:22. And is it a sin that all good men hate? Yes: I hate and abhor lying, Ps. 119:163. Does it make men like the devil? Yes: for he is a liar, and the father of it, John 8:44. And will it bring them to hell? Yes: for all liars shall have their part in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, Rev. 21:8.
2. Is it lawful to tell a lie to make sport? No: for as a madman who casteth firebrands, arrows, and death, so is he that deceiveth his neighbour, and saith, Am not I in sport? Prov. 26:18, 19. Is it lawful to tell a lie to excuse a fault? No: for Gehazi for doing so had a leprosy entailed on him and his seed for ever, 2 Kings 5:27. May we tell a lie with intention to do good? No: We must not do evil, that good may come, Rom. 3:8. Will what is got by lying do us any good? No: The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is vanity, tossed to and fro of them that seek death, Prov. 21:6. Should we therefore pray against this sin? Yes: Remove from me the way of lying, Ps. 119:29.
3. Is it a sin to belie ourselves? Yes: As there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches, Prov. 13:7. May we be careless of our own good name? No: If I should say I know him not, I should be a liar like unto you, John 8:55.
4. Is it a sin to belie our neighbour? Yes: They laid to my charge things that I know not, Ps. 35:11. Is it folly? Yes: He that uttereth slander is a fool, Prov. 10:18. Is it a sin to speak evil of any? Yes: Put them in mind to speak evil of no man, Tit. 3:1,2. And to be censorious of our brethren? Yes: Judge not, that ye be not judged, Matt. 7:1. Is it a great offence to God to do this? Yes: He that speaks evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaks evil of the law, and judgeth the law, James 4:11. Does it make us like the devil? Yes: for he is the accuser of the brethren, Rev. 12:10.
5. Is it a sin to raise a false report? Yes: Thou shalt not raise a false report, Exod. 23:1. And a sin to spread it? Yes: Thou shalt not go up and down as a tale-bearer, Lev. 19:16. May we proclaim our brothers' faults? No: for charity rejoiceth not in iniquity, 1 Cor. 13:6. Is it a sin to speak ill of magistrates? Yes: Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people, Acts 23:5. Is it a sin to be abusive to the poor? Yes: for he that mocketh the poor, reproacheth his Maker, Prov. 17:5. May we speak ill of those who speak ill of us? No: We must not render railing for railing, 1 Pet. 3:9.