1. May we dispose of our own lives at our pleasure? No: For surely your blood of your lives will I require, Gen. 9:5. Is it a sin in any case to kill ourselves? Yes: Do thyself no harm, Acts 16:28. Is it an exceeding sinful sin? Yes: it was the sin of Saul and Judas, Sam. 31:4. Matt. 27:5. Is it a sin needlessly to expose our own lives? Yes: Thou shall not tempt the Lord thy God, Matt. 4:7. But must we not expose our lives to keep a good conscience? Yes: Neither count I my life dear unto me, so that I might finish my course with joy, Acts 20:24.
2. Is drunkenness a sin against our own lives? Yes: Take heed lest your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting and drunkenness, and so that day come upon you unawares, Luke 21:34. Is uncleanness so? Yes: He that commits fornication sins against his own body, 1 Cor. 6: 18. Is immoderate care and grief a sin against our own lives? Yes: for the sorrow of the world worketh death, 2 Cor. 7:10.
3. Is it lawful for the magistrate to take away the life of a malefactor? Yes: for he bears not the sword in vain, Rom. 13:4. May soldiers kill in a lawful war? Yes: Cursed is he that keepeth back his sword from blood, Jer. 48:10. But is wilful murder a great sin? Yes: The voice of thy brother's blood cries Gen. 4:10 Is it an iniquity to be punished by the judge? Yes: Whoso sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed, Gen. 9:6. And ought the murderer to be put to death? Yes: A man that doeth violence to the blood of any person shall flee to the pit; let no man stay him, Prov. 28:17.
4. Is murder a great affront to God? Yes: for in the image of God made he man, Gen. 9:6. Does it make men like the devil? Yes: for he was a murderer from the beginning, John 8:44. Is it of dangerous consequence to the murderer? Yes: for no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him, 1 John 3:15. Ought we therefore to pray that God would keep us from it? Yes: Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God of my salvation, Ps. 51:14.
5. Is malice heart-murder? Yes: lie that hateth his brother is a murderer, 1 John 3:15. Is rash anger a breach of this commandment? Yes: But I say unto you, Whosoever is angry with his brother without cause, shall be in danger of the judgment, Matt. 5:22. Is giving foul language a breach of this commandment? Yes: Whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, or Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire, Matt. 5:22. Is revenge a breach of this commandment? Yes: Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, Rom. 12:19.