Q. 26. How does Christ execute the office of a King?
A. Christ executes the office of a King, in subduing us to himself, in ruling and defending us, and in restraining and conquering all his and our enemies.
1. Is Christ put into the office of a King? Yes: I have set my King upon my holy hill of Sion, Ps. 2:6. Does he execute that office? Yes: he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever, Luke 1:33. Is he King as Mediator? Yes: he hath authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of man, John 5:27. Is his kingdom a spiritual kingdom? Yes: my kingdom is not of this world, John 18:36.
2. Is Christ universal monarch? Yes: for all power is given to him both in heaven and on earth, Matt. 28:18. Has he a right to rule all? Yes: he is Lord of all, Acts 10:36. Does he rule all? Yes: he is the governor among the nations, Ps. 22:28. Does he rule all for the good of his church? Yes: he is head over all things to the church, Eph. 1:22. Is he in a special manner the church's King? Yes: 0 daughter of Sion, thy King comes, Zech. 9: 9.
3. Does Christ, as a King, subdue his people to himself? Yes: Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, Ps. 110:3. Does he do it by the word of his grace? Yes: he draws with the cords of a man, and with the bands of love, Hos. 11:4. Does he do it effectually? Yes: he makes ready a people prepared for the Lord, Luke 1:17. Does he conquer the opposition of the carnal mind? Yes: for the weapons of our warfare are mighty through God, to the pulling down of strongholds, 2 Cor. 10:4. Does he set up his throne in the soul? Yes: bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ, 2 Cor. 10:5. And does he rule there? Yes: for he writes his law in their hearts, Heb. 8:10.
4. Does Christ, as a King, reign in his church? Yes: The Lord is our Judge, the Lord is our Lawgiver, the Lord is our King, Isa 33:22. Does he enact laws? Yes: he gave commandments to his apostles, Acts 1:2. Does he commission officers? Yes: By me kings reign, Prov. 8:15. Does he give judgment? Yes: we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, 2 Cor 5:10. Is homage and allegiance due to him? Yes: for at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, Phil. 2:10. Does he rule in righteousness? Yes; the sceptre of his kingdom is a right sceptre, Ps. 45:6.
5. Does Christ, as a King, protect his subjects? Yes: for he shall be as a hiding place from the wind, Isa 32:2. And does he secure the peace of his kingdom? Yes: for this man shall be the peace, Mic. 5:5. Has he authority to pardon sin? Yes: the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sin, Matt. 9:6. Has he authority to reward services? Yes: I will give thee a crown of life, Rev. 2:10.
6. Does Christ, as King, restrain his enemies? Yes: on this Rock will I build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it, Matt. 16:18. Will he conquer them at last? Yes: for he must reign till he hath put all enemies under his feet, 1 Cor 15:25. Will he conquer death itself? Yes: the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death, 1 Cor 15:26. Does he count those his enemies that will not have him to reign over them? Yes: Those mine enemies which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me, Luke 19:27.
7. Is Christ a merciful King? Yes: he is meek, and having salvation, Zech. 9:9. Is he the poor man's King? Yes: he shall deliver the needy when he cries, Ps. 72:12. Has he a large kingdom? Yes: he shall have dominion from sea to sea, Ps. 72: 8. Have we reason to hope it shall be larger than now it is? Yes: for the kingdoms of the world are become the kingdoms of the Lord and of his Christ, Rev. 11:15. Shall it be a lasting kingdom? Yes: his throne shall be as the days of heaven, Ps. 89:29. And when the mystery of God shall be finished, shall the kingdom of the Redeemer be resigned to the creator? Yes: then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the father, 1 Cor 15:24.
8. Ought we to rejoice in Christ's dominion? Yes: Let the children of Sion be joyful in their King, Ps. 149:2. Must we accept him for our King? Yes: Take my yoke upon you, Matt. 11:29. Must we pay tribute to him? Yes: Send ye the Lamb to the ruler of the land, Isa. 16:1. Must we obey him? Yes: for he is the Author of eternal salvation to all them that obey him, Heb. 5:9.